When does the City remove trees?
We remove trees all year round, but only when trees are dead, seriously diseased, or hazardous.
What do the Tree Bylaws protect?
The Tree Bylaws protect trees on City property, in protected woodlots on private property, and 11 rare species anywhere in town.
Does this mean that I can't cut down any trees?
Some trees are protected, some are not. The City Tree Bylaw protects all trees on City property, including trees along roadsides. The Private Tree Bylaw protects 11 rare species anywhere in town, and also protects trees within 32 protected woodlots on private property. Type "tree bylaw" in the search box at the top of the screen to get more information, or call Parks & Recreation at 519-756-1500.
Does it cost money to submit an application?
No. You can download the application from the City website or pick it up at Parks & Recreation, 1 Sherwood Drive. If you can't download it or pick it up, we'd be happy to mail it to you; just call 519-756-1500.
Why does it take so long to get my tree trimmed?
Parks & Recreation is flooded with tree calls every spring, and it can take months for staff to get caught up. Every year we respond to more than 2500 tree inspection requests, in addition to our proactive maintenance cyle, and information requests.
Why are trees protected?
Trees are protected because they provide benefits to all City residents, not just the property where they are located. Trees help clean the air, provide shade, provide homes for wildlife, and many other benefits. The City protects these trees because they offer a benefit to all Brantford residents.
What maintenance can I do to the City tree at the front of my house?
We appreciate your help in watering trees during periods of drought. You may also trim any suckering branches growing from the base of the tree. If any other maintenance is required, please call Parks & Recreation at 519-756-1500.
Can I plant my own tree?
We appreciate your interest, but we prefer that you don't plant your own tree on City property. Planting a little tree can seem fairly innocent, little trees get big and can cause big problems if they're planted in the wrong location. We also wouldn't want you to accidentally hit an underground service while you're digging. If you'd like a tree, call Parks & Recreation at 519-756-1500 to request one or more trees.
What happens to wood from tree cutting or trimming?
Wood suitable for firewood is left for the community to use, first-come first-serve. If wood is not picked up in a timely fashion, please call Parks and Recreation 519-756-1500. From time to time tree trunks are too large to pick up, so the City leaves the trunk standing to be picked up by a crane at a later date. Please note: firewood is cut to an appropriate length, but still needs to be seasoned and split prior to burning.
What if there isn't much space for a tree? Can I still have one?
Sometimes there just isn't enough space for a new tree to be planted (even if there was a big tree there before). Decades ago, trees were often planted in very narrow boulevards but when the trees got large they would damage the sidewalk, curb, or road. We try to avoid those problems by not planting a tree unless there is adequate space for it to grow to it's mature size.
Who cleans up after trees are trimmed or removed?
The tree trimming contractors are responsible for thoroughly cleaning up after themselves. If you feel they didn't clean up well enough, please call Parks & Recreation at 519-756-1500.
Do I need a permit if the trees on my property are not in a woodlot?
You might. The list of 11 rare species are protected anywhere in Brantford, not just in woodlots. Call Parks & Recreation at 519-756-1500 if you're not sure about what species are protected.
Will the City remove my crab apple tree? It is such a nuisance!
We understand that crab apple trees are an exceptional nuisance. Therefore, there is a program where residents can contribute $100 towards tree planting, and Parks and Recreation will remove the City crab apple tree. Even if you prefer not to have a new tree, the $100 fee will go to planting trees elsewhere. This program helps acheive a compromise in maintaining the City tree canopy, while understanding that crab apple trees can cause an unreasonable burden to City residents. To request a crab apple tree inspection, please call Parks & Recreation at 519-756-1500.
Does the City own the tree in front of my house?
If the tree is between the sidewalk and the curb, it's a City tree. If there isn't a sidewalk, call Parks & Recreation at 519-756-1500 to figure it out. We can often give you an answer right over the phone.
I don't want a new tree planted at my house!
We understand that not everyone wants the responsibility of having a new tree. Please call Parks & Recreation at 519-756-1500 to confirm that you would not like a tree planted, and we will gladly oblige. If you change your mind and would like a tree in the future, do not hesitate to call! We would be happy to plant one!
Do I have to prune the new tree?
No. Trees shouldn't be pruned for the first 1-2 years after planting. The tree planting contractor will do everything that is required for the tree at the time of planting.
When will my tree be planted?
We plant trees in the spring and fall. This is the best time of year for trees to be transplanted. If you are in a new subdivision, the street trees will be planted once all roadside landscaping is complete, including sod.
My new tree is dead. Now what?
It doesn't happen often, but sometimes the newly planted trees don't survive the first year. If your tree is dead or unhealthy looking, call Parks & Recreation at 519-756-1500 to have your tree inspected. If the tree is beyond hope, the tree may be replaced the following spring or fall.
Who do I call to request tree planting? Is there a cost?
Please call Parks & Recreation at 519-756-1500 to have a tree planted at your home. Tree planting & maintenance is supported by municipal taxes; there is no fee.
How do I care for the new tree?
You should have received a green doortag when the tree was planted that includes some basic care information. The most important thing to do for a new tree is watering. During the dry part of the summer, it is important that you water the tree once a week. It is important not to water trees every day; the roots can rot if they are too wet. As time goes on, please don't hit the tree with a weedwacker or lawnmower when cutting the grass. This is the most common mistake people make. The City puts a plastic guard at the base of the tree to prevent this damage; please make sure that the guard stays there.
Does this bylaw protect Manitoba maples?
This bylaw protects all species in protected woodlots, including Manitoba maples. Outside of the protected woodlots, Manitoba maples are not protected on private property.
Who do I contact about tree problems?
Parks & Recreation manages the majority of tree related issues in the City. Please give us a call at 519-756-1500. If Parks & Rec can't help, we'll get you pointed in the right direction.
What will my new tree look like?
In general, trees we plant are 2-3m tall, with a trunk about 4-5cm thick. It will be staked with two wooden stakes and tied with biodegradable twine to brace it for the first year. If you would like information about the specific type of tree to be planted, a photo directory will soon be added to the planting list in the "Trees" section of this website.
Do I need a permit to trim my tree?
You might need a permit. If you are certain that your tree isn't a protected species, is not in a protected woodlot, and isn't a City tree, you may prune or remove the tree if you wish. If it is a protected species or in a protected woodlot under the Private Tree Bylaw, please call Parks & Recreation 519-756-1500 for more information.
Where will the new tree be planted?
The location depends on many factors. The arborist who chooses the tree location considers mature tree size, soil volume, obstacles like buildings & hydrolines, and many other variables to ensure the new tree will not cause interference. If the new tree is replacing a small tree, it will likely go in the same location as the previous tree. If the new tree is replacing a very large tree, the new tree can't go in the exact same spot, because roots from the former tree impede growth for the new tree.