Commissioner of Oaths 

The Commissioners for taking Affidavits Act allows municipal clerks and other officials (also known as Commissioner of Oaths) to take various types of declarations and to administer oaths.

Please note that the City of Brantford does not have a Notary Public on staff.


Verified documents containing sworn statements are known as affidavits.

The City of Brantford can sign affidavits.

All parties required to sign the document must be present and must provide valid photo identification in order to have a document commissioned.

A fee of $30.00 (including HST) will be applied for signatures.

Commissioning process

The Clerk or designate (Commissioner of Oaths) reviews the document to determine if it meets our specifications. We reserve the right to refuse commissioning services of any document.

View our Commissioner of Oaths Services document below for more information about documents we can and cannot commission.

Contact the Clerk's Department to make an appointment in order to:

  • ensure that there is a Commissioner of Oaths available
  • get assistance in determining if the Commissioner is authorized to sign your document(s)
  • confirm the applicable fee associated with your document(s)

Click to open the Commissioner of Oaths Services document (PDF)



What types of affidavits can be signed?
Affidavits that relate to work that is NOT done in connection with the business of the municipality may be signed by the Commissioner of Oaths. These affidavits can include but not limited to:
- Vehicle transfer forms
- Pension forms
- Any government related forms
- Change of ownership forms
- Clarification on the type of affidavits that will be signed can be directed to the City Clerk’s Department at 519-759-4150, Monday to Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM.
Will an interpreter be provided if needed?
The City Clerk’s Office will not provide interpreters for the signing of affidavits. It is the responsible of the applicant to obtain and provide an interpreter if needed.
What do I need to bring?
The person swearing or affirming to a document must appear before the Commissioner of Oaths. Proper identification (photo ID) such as a valid driver’s license, current passport or any other government issued photo identification must be presented as well as the completed affidavit with the exception of the signature. The signing of the affidavit must be completed in the presence of the Commissioner.
Who may take the oath?
In Ontario, an Oath must be taken before a Commissioner for Taking Affidavits. In accordance with the Commissioners for Taking Affidavits Act, the City Clerk and Deputy City Clerk are designated as Commissioners within the City of Brantford.
What is an affidavit?
An affidavit is a declaration or statement of facts, confirmed by the oath of the party making the affidavit. It is taken before a person having authority to administer such an oath. Affidavits are used for a number of different purposes. Generally they are used for the purpose of establishing legal rights. The Commissioners for Taking Affidavits Act (issued by the Province) empowers Municipal Clerks and other officials to take various types of declarations, to certify documents, and to administer oaths. A Commissioner’s stamp is affixed to the document once the oath has been taken and signatures have been witnessed.
What if I don’t have any identification?
In the event that you do not have any identification, the City Clerk’s Office will not sign the affidavit. For further direction on how to proceed you need to contact the agency or office that is requesting the completion of the affidavit or seek legal counsel on the preparation and completion of the affidavit. The Commissioner of Oaths will not sign any affidavit without proper identification being presented.
When is this service available?
This service is available during regular business hours, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday to Friday but those who need the service of a Commissioner are requested to make an appointment in advance to ensure the availability of a Commissioner of Oaths.
Where do I go if I require a Notary Public?
The City cannot notarize documents. A list of Notary Publics and lawyers who notarize documents can be found in the local phone directory.
What is the fee?
The fee for this service is $26.55 plus HST for a total of $30.00 per document. Payment accepted is in the form of cash, debit, MasterCard or Visa.
What service is not provided?
The City Clerk’s Department does not prepare or edit affidavits nor provide legal advice. Any questions or needed assistance in completing the affidavit document should be directed to the agency or party that has requested the form. The commissioner for taking affidavits cannot counsel or assist a person with completing the affidavit document. The City Clerk’s Department does not provide or supply blank affidavit forms nor will such affidavit forms be sworn by staff. All affidavit forms being presented for signing must be completed prior to presentation for commissioning excluding the signature of the applicant.