Business Licensing 

City of Brantford Business licensing by-laws are a means for which enforcement can be undertaken to protect against potential infractions in the following areas: public health and safety; nuisance control and/or consumer protection. Each of the licensing classes has their own unique Municipal Code Chapter governing their operations as well as being governed by the General Provisions – Issue of Licences Municipal Code Chapter. Licensing fees are established to offset the cost of the related enforcement and inspection programs.

Please refer to the pages listed within the left margin for each individual class of Business Licences currently enacted within the City of Brantford and their related information.

The information contained within the individual pages is meant to be a brief overview of the licence class and the requirements associated with. It does not replace or cover the entire list of provisions within the related Municipal Code Chapters. Please refer to the noted Municipal Code Chapters provided for the full information and associated requirements of the licensee. For your convenience the application and current list of operators has been provided at the bottom of the licences information webpage.

Application forms for Business Licences are also available at the City's Clerks Office, 1st Floor, 100 Wellington Street, Brantford, Ontario. In addition, inquiries can be directed to the City Clerk’s department by phoning 519-759-4150 or by email at

Amendments pertaining to business licensing occurred in November 2013. Please contact the Business Licensing department for the most current information.

Food Service Vehicle (formally Outdoor Food Vendor)

On April 24th, 2018, City Council passed a revised Business Licensing bylaw. As a result of this bylaw, the Outdoor Food Vendor category has been changed to Food Service Vehicles which takes effect on May 31st, 2018.

A few key highlights of the changes in Business Licensing bylaws and attached schedule are as follows:

  • The organization of a Food Service Vehicleschedule encompasses the former Catering Vehicle, Chip Hut, Chip Hut – Extended Menu, Ice Cream Vending Vehicle and Refreshment Cart licensees

Distance Location Requirements:

a) Distance From a Food Premise - 45 metres from the property line;

b) Distance From a School – Minimum 100 metres of a school between 7am and 5pm;

c) Distance from a Recognized City of Brantford S.E.A.T Event – Within 100 metres of boundary

Street Operation:

a) No selling to the public on residential streets for longer than 15 minutes.
b) No selling to the public for longer than three hours on all other roads (with exception for event purposes only). Licensee must obey all parking time restrictions.

No person shall operate a Food Service Vehicle business; on a private property line without consent of the owner; or in a residential or industrial area in a manner that interferes with normal use of sidewalks by pedestrians

A renewal Food Service Vehicle 3 day Event Licence may be obtained past the first initial 120 days within the same licensing year and is valid for an additional 120 day cycle.

Special Event Time Period – Effective Until September 30 2018 - Special events are to include operations that may be of a weekly or biweekly occurrence at a single location and are subject to a licence period that does not exceed September 30 2018. In order to achieve Special Event status the Food Carts and/or Food Trucks that are participating at the weekly or biweekly event are not to participate in consecutive events at the same location (must rotate participation). All other Special Event licence requirements remain.

Please see the Food Service Vehicle (formally Outdoor Food Vendor) page for additional information

Operation of a business under the following categories without a City of Brantford Business Licence is not permitted contrary to the Business Licensing Bylaw:

Schedule 'A-1' - Amusement Arcade
Schedule 'A-2' - Food Premises
Schedule 'A-3' - General Building Trades
Schedule 'A-4' - Lodging House
Schedule 'A-5' - Food Service Vehicle (formally Outdoor Food Vendor)
Schedule 'A-6' - Pawnbroker
Schedule 'A-7' - Temporary Sales
Schedule 'A-8' - Personal Service Settings
Schedule 'A-9' - Plumbing Trades
Schedule 'A-10' - Public Halls
Schedule 'A-11' - Salvage Yards
Schedule 'A-12' – Clothing Donation Bin

Should you have any questions or concerns please contact business licensing staff in the City Clerk's Department at 519-759-4150 or by email to

PDF download icon graphic The documents below require the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click to download the Acrobat Reader plugin to your browser.

Clicking on any of the documents below will open a new browser window.